A tale of runways, motorways
and a passionate group of golfers
Around the late 1920’s, on the opposite side of the Cooks River to Sydney Airport, a golf course of 83 acres (34.5ha) was created.
A group of golfers used a tin shed on the course as a clubhouse and paid two shillings (20c) to Wilfred Allen (who held the lease on the land) for 18 holes. This group formed the first North Brighton Golf Club.
Runway extensions at Sydney Airport forced the club to find a new home. In 1950, the club’s officials found a site in Milperra and renamed the club New Brighton Golf Club.
Once again, transport infrastructure forced New Brighton Golf Club to relocate in 1979. This time to make way for the construction of the M5 Motorway.
Construction of the new golf course at it’s present location along the Georges River in Moorebank commenced in June 1980, and was playable in 1982.
In December 2010, the club entered into a contract with Mirvac to construct a new clubhouse, build new golf holes and develop non-core land into housing. Re-named Brighton Lakes Recreation & Golf Club, it is the commitment and passion of its members and local community that makes this club special.